First of all, let’s see what this Alexa Rank is, and why it may be of importance to you.
Alexa is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and delivers information on traffic levels for websites. Alexa gathers this information through its toolbar, which can be downloaded and installed from alexa.com.
Alexa may not be as well known as Google’s PageRank, but still has quite some influence. Alexa Rank is very much used amongst webmasters, to value a website. This means that if you are ever thinking of selling your website, or offering advertisement space on it, the Alexa Rank of your website will come into play, and will even be a main factor to decide the prices.
How is Alexa Rank defined?
Let’s see what Alexa itself has to say about that:
“The traffic rank is based on three months of aggregated historical traffic data from millions of Alexa Toolbar users and is a combined measure of page views and users (reach). As a first step, Alexa computes the reach and number of page views for all sites on the Web on a daily basis.
The main Alexa traffic rank is based on the geometric mean of these two quantities averaged over time (so that the rank of a site reflects both the number of users who visit that site as well as the number of pages on the site viewed by those users)”
Alexa needs the visitors to have the toolbar installed, or else it doesn’t see the visit to the website. Since the only people concerned about the Alexa Rank are webmasters (for the value for ads and reselling), the majority of people who have this toolbar installed are webmasters. So, to be correct, the Alexa Rank shows you how popular your website is, amongst webmasters mostly. However, since these are the ones you need when you want to sell ads, or sell your website, that is a good thing.
1 users were referred by you.
How do you increase your Alexa Rank?
Above all, it is the same as with any other rank, it is a numbers game. If your audience grows, so will your Alexa Rank, simply because of the overall growth. A larger audience is created by creating and keep creating high quality content, and getting a large number of incoming links (for which the great content works wonders too…).
However, there are a few things you can do to increase your Alexa Rank.
1. Install the Alexa Toolbar yourself in your Firefox or Internet Explorer browser (unfortunately there is no toolbar available for Safari, Opera or Chrome. Then set your website as your homepage. Everytime you open your browser, the Alexa toolbar will count this as being one visitor. While your at it, encourage others to install the Alexa Toolbar. Tell your mom and sister that you need to install a security update for their browser, install the toolbar, and set your own site as their homepage (something you should do anyway 😉 ).
2. Put the Alexa rank widget up on your website. It shows your Alexa Rank to your visitors, and it will receive quite some clicks (depending on your traffic of course, again, it is a numbers game). It is said (but not proven) that these clicks count as visitors, even if the visitor doesn’t have the Alexa Toolbar installed.
3. Write a blogpost or article about Alexa. Loads and loads of webmasters want to increase their Alexa rank. They are looking for articles such as this one. If your article is written well (which I hope in this case), it will attract many webmasters. With the toolbar installed. Your rank will peak!
4. Generally write webmaster-related content, and create a webmasters-tool or most-valued-webmasters-links page. If you write content or have specific pages that attract webmasters,… Well, remember the previous tip!
5. Be active on webmaster and seo forums and blogs, and show your URL there. Be it in your profile, your sig, or by providing usefull answers and referring to articles you wrote about the topic. Again, many webmasters, many Alexa toolbars, increased ranking.
6. Get discovered by the Asian websurfers. Apparently, Asian webusers are very fond of the Alexa toolbar. Getting into that market will increase your Alexa Rank. You can get started there by adding your url to some asian directories, participating in Asian forums or social media, or get to know someone Asian who can spread your url.
7. Get your pages Dugg or StumbledUpon. If your content is of high linkworthy quality, chances are high that you will get Dugg or StumbledUpon. This will massively increase your traffic, and thus (the numbers game again), your Alexa rank. If you keep this up (keep on writing high quality content), your overall rankings and incoming links will boost through the roof!
Do you have other ways of increasing the Alexa rank, then don’t be afraid to share them in the comments below. And to the ones who are reading this article, and don’t have the Alexa Toolbar installed yet: go to Alexa.com, install the toolbar, and head back over here!!!! 😉